Monday, August 27, 2012

First Big Quilt

I'm getting back into quilting :) and it feels good!
I have been wanting to do this quilt for awhile now....a giant (115 x 95) patchwork quilt with all of my favorite fabrics from my stash - some Swell and Sweet by Urban Chiks, a little polka dots, a hint of American Jane, a splash of Sugar Flower, a bit of Cath Kidston from my England trip and some reproduction fabrics.

Despite my intention for it to be an "Easy, Getting Back into Things" quilt, I did face some issues.

.....I decided to do straight line quilting because I wanted it to feel more like a thin comforter rather than a quilt.  But I think I did it all wrong though.  I did all the horizontal lines first then the vertical lines so there were some puckering action.  I think I should have quilted a big cross in the middle of the quilt then alternate the direction of the quilting lines, right?  And I didn't bast it with enough pins :( so that probably didn't help the puckering.   My piecing was also hopeless, half of the corners didn't meet.  At the end, I didn't even bother to square it hehe.....too big!

Even with all that mistakes...I am in love with it.  It's light and soft.  Not to mention the dottie binding. :)





This is my boyfriend trying to smooth out the quilt sandwich before basting....with a bench! haha!


No comments:

Post a Comment